In this post I will tell you how I’m switching to safe and Non Toxic products. What does that mean? Transparent ingredients (all ingredients on label), plant-based formulations, non harmful ingredients like ammonia, petroleum distillates, parabens, phosphates or phthalates.
*This post contains affiliated links
Why switch to safe and non Toxic Products?
- Most popular brands use toxic or potentially dangerous chemicals. Do you know Febreze contains chemicals linked to allergies and asthma?
- Non toxic products work just as well as chemical cleaners.
- Help the Environment. Most ideal green companies make their products using sustainable manufacturing practices and naturally derived, safe, non-toxic, and biodegradable ingredients that don’t negatively impact the environment
Making a slow transition
For many reasons I’m making the switch gradually:
- To try the brands and products I like and really work for me.
- I do not want to immediately throw away all the products that I am currently using and to waste them. When I finish using each product, I make sure to replace it with a more natural product.
- Most of the time “cleaner products” are more expensive, so we are adjusting our budget gradually, to not get overwhelmed with the fact that everything is more expensive now.
Using Apps for your decision-making process
They are several Apps that rate products depending on how natural they are, like Think Dirty App and EWG Healthy Living. This can be really useful but we aware the rating isn’t accurate because of the current scoring methodology. The blogger Michelle Schomp wrote a helpful post “Problems with EWG & Think Dirty Apps”
Brands that are safe and don’t have toxic ingredients
I have to start by saying that I’m not switching to 100% NATURAL products at once, if you want that way your best option will be making DIY products using essential oils.
There is so much info about which ingredients are consider SAFE, that it’s really overwhelming to define by yourself which product it’s a good option. Plus not all products have all their ingredients listed on the labels and sometimes even if they have them written we don’t know the meaning of it.
If you go to the grocery store, shop at Amazon or Target you will find all the products available (the harmful and the safe ones) Some of the harmful ones have written confusing statements to make you think they are all green and safe! Just because they say it’s safe for kids and pets it really doesn’t mean it doesn’t contain harmful chemicals. How do you know which one is safe? That’s one of the reasons I felt in love with Grove Co. Grove Collaborative is a company that makes all the homework for you. They only offer the SAFE products. They have cleaners, hair and skin care, laundry products, baby products and more!
Which brands do they carry?
Method, Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day, Grove (they have their own line of product), Seventh generation, Burst bees, babyganics, Dr. Bronner’s, Tom’s of Maine, Zarbee’s, just to mention some of my favorites. I must say I don’t like every single product from this brands. Some have strong aroma for me, or they didn’t really work as I expected to. If you want to read my experience using Grove and the list of my favorite products I already tried and love click here.
Tell me… have you switched to non toxic products too? I’d love to hear any of your favorite chemical free products as I’m always trying to learn and try new ones!
*Affiliate links, advertising, sponsored posts and banners, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a small commission if you decide to make a purchase after clicking through the link. Please understand that all products linked are items that I would use in my home, with my honest opinion and feedback. Do not spend any money on these products unless you feel you need them or that they will help you achieve your goals.