Being bicultural means that we have and combine the cultural attitudes and customs of two nation, in our case USA and Guatemala. I’m still learning about USA culture. Having a daughter that was born here and living in this country, motivates me to enhance more the American culture in our home. Here I share with you some fun ideas to enjoy and connect with your children this 4th of July.
||| ACTIVITIES/ CRAFTS
-Fireworks Balloon art
-Accessories to wear on 4th of July
-Prepare a 4th of July barbecue
- Balloon Art, is a super easy activity to pull together and kids have a lot of fun. Also if your kids don’t like loud noises, this will be great practice for fireworks. If you don’t want a lot of mess just add a little bit of paint inside the balloon with a paintbrush. Pump air into the balloon.
2. Necklace or accessories to wear on 4th of July. Wether you are making a barbecue at home, will attend a parade or watch fireworks, make and prepare things to wear that day. Gather all your red, white and blue clothing, make a fun necklace, a wand, hat, get creative. A good tip will be to use what you already have. I already have this paper straws, if you don’t have you can paint macaroni.
3. Prepare a 4th of July barbecue. Get your kids involve, choosing a nice table cloth, decorating with flags, choosing the menu and even go grocery shopping together.
-Frozen Strawberry yogurt
-Bake a pie
-Watermelon Stars on a stick
1.Frozen Strawberry yogurt . This is super easy to make with the help of kids. Just mix yogurt with chopped strawberries, you can also add blueberries. Pour the mix on silicone molds or in a baking baking dish lined with parchment paper. Freeze it for at least 2 hours.
2. Bake a pie. This is a popular day to bake and eat pie in America. Here you can find a recipe for an apple pie I love making. Extra points if you live in Texas and have your pie with Blue bell ice cream.
3. Watermelon Stars on a stick. Just cut a slice of watermelon and with a star shaped cookie cutter cut stars and add a popsicle stick. Freeze it for a couple of minutes to make it extra refreshing.
||| GO TO
-Attend a neighborhood or the city parade
-Picnic and fireworks
-Pick up blueberries or seasonal fruit to bake a pie